Thursday, April 5, 2012

Jungle Garden Chess Set Process

So here are some photos and descriptions of my process in making a Jungle Garden Chess Set...

1. First I gather my materials: Wood, Hydrostone (super plaster), My previously made chess piece molds, Paintbrushes of multiple sizes, Primer, Acrylic Paint (I ended up using yellow, green, black, red and white on this one), a palette, Flock of at least two colors (I buy these from Woodland Scenics), Underbrush Flock, Moss Flock, Scenic Cement, A sprayer and Clear drying Tacky Glue.

2. Mold the pieces out of the hydrostone

3. Prime and Paint the pieces to look all mossy and aged.

4. Decorate the pieces with the various flocks.

5. Finally I get to making the board itself. After making a cool design on the computer I go to the Automatic Router and have it carve the top.

6. After laying down a base green I flock it with both colors.

7. I add some underbrush to the board and rough it up a bit to make it more aged looking.

There are many more steps between the ones shown but I figured this would give you guys some idea of how I approach making a chess board.

If you want a custom board like this (can be done in several different styles) you can order one HERE

The finished board-

No comments:

Post a Comment